Your Income Tax Questions: Do you have to pay taxes on tuition fees paid to a foreign college?


When filing a tax return, one must disclose income from all sources, regardless of the amount.

By Chirag Nangia

If I pay a tuition fee at a foreign college, do I have to pay taxes for this payment? Do I have to submit a declaration to SFT to send money to my child abroad as living expenses?
—Apurba Bhattacharya

As of October 1, 2020, an authorized reseller will be required to collect 5% withholding tax (TCS) on any foreign remittance (under LRS) of Rs 7 lakh or more or all amounts exceeding Rs 7 lakh in a financial year. If PAN or Aadhaar is not available, the rate will be 10%. The TCS credit can be offset against the payor’s final tax in India. Therefore, if the tuition or living expenses paid by you exceeds Rs 7 lakh, the tax will be collected at source by the dealer.

For question B, a “Statement of Financial Transactions and Reportable Account” (SFT) should be provided by specified persons such as banks, corporations, persons authorized under the Foreign Exchange Management Act if the nature and value of account holder transactions exceed prescribed thresholds. You will not be required to submit the return. The person concerned will report your high value transactions to the government.

l Last year I sold a property at a loss. Do I have to file an RTI for this? I am retired. In the absence of this capital loss information, can I use RTI 1?
—Subal Basak

When filing a tax return, one must disclose income from all sources, regardless of the amount. Otherwise, when processing the return, the tax department may raise an issue or make adjustments due to a mismatch. You can report your retirement income and your capital gains in ITR 2. You must report the sale price, the acquisition cost and the capital gains resulting from the sale of goods.

l What is the tax benefit on the student loan?
—Deepak Kumar

In accordance with Section 80E, anyone who takes out a loan from a financial institution or charity approved for higher education, whether in India or abroad, can claim an interest deduction. paid for eight years, counting from the tax year in which he started paying. interest on the loan or until the tax year in which interest is paid in full, whichever occurs first. The student loan can be taken out for yourself, your spouse, your children or a student for whom you are the legal guardian.

(The writer is the director, Nangia Andersen India. Send your questions to [email protected])

Get live stock quotes for BSE, NSE, US market and latest net asset value, mutual fund portfolio, see the latest IPO news, top IPOs, calculate your tax with the help of the income tax calculator, know the best winners, the best losers and the best equity funds in the market. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay up to date with the latest news and updates from Biz.


About Author

Leave A Reply