More than 50 people were killed in Kebbi following raids and attacks by armed bandits.
Reuters reports that the motorcycle bandits ransacked a village and killed more than 50 people.
Former local Abdullahi Karman Unashi told Reuters the gunmen entered Dankade village on Friday evening and exchanged gunfire with soldiers and police.
“They killed two soldiers, a policeman and 50 villagers. (They) abducted the Dankade community leader and many villagers, mostly women and children,” Mr Unashi explained.
Daily Trust columnist Bulama Bukarti mentioned that the attack on the Kebbi community was due to residents not paying taxes.
“The Kebbi government said it was a retaliatory attack, but the victims say they are being attacked because they refused to pay a new tax after paying previously. The government claimed 10 to 20 people were killed, but the two witnesses told the BBC they saw more than 25 bodies and there were more,” Mr Bulama said. tweeted Monday morning.
Police spokesman in Kebbi Nafiu Abubakar did not respond to calls and Peoples Gazette messages to confirm the attack.
The attack on the Kebbi community came a week after armed bandits invaded Kurfa Danya, Kurfa Magaji Rafin Gero, Tungar Isa and Barayar Zaki in Bukkuyum and Anka local government areas in Zamfara, bordering near Kebbi. . At least 218 people were killed in the raids.
Despite military operations in neighboring Niger, the attacks were authorized by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Zamfara is among the states most affected by the kidnappings and had been under a telecommunications blockade since early September last year, which authorities said they imposed to disrupt coordination between the bandits and help the armed forces to fight them.